GrassRoots50

Breaking News Stories

Man Reportedly Dies After Taking Enormous Amount Of Vitamin D

A British man died after ingesting large amounts of vitamin D, Fox News reported on Tuesday.

David Michener, 89, died of complications from hypercalcemia, a condition characterized by too much calcium in the body due to high vitamin D levels. according to On Fox News. Ms. Michener was admitted to East Surrey Hospital on May 10, 2023, and she passed away 10 days later. Medical tests revealed that his vitamin D levels were at a lethal level, contributing to his death along with other health issues such as congestive heart failure and chronic kidney disease.

According to a report on FOX News, an assistant medical examiner's report found that Michener had been taking vitamin supplements for at least nine months prior to his death, but there was no warning on the packaging about the potential risk of overdosing. There was no clear warning. The report notes that caution and education regarding the intake of vitamin supplements is critically needed. (Related: Man reportedly crushed to death in London urinal)

Experts stress that vitamin D is essential for good health, but it must be consumed in moderation. “Vitamin supplements can pose very serious risks and side effects when taken in excess,” Assistant Coroner Jonathan Stevens wrote in the report, according to FOX News. “Current food labeling requirements do not require these risks or side effects to be listed on the package.”

For most adults, an intake of 600 international units (IU) per day is sufficient, primarily from food and sunlight. But because vitamin D functions like a hormone in the body, more than 4,000 IU daily can cause a range of health problems, Fox News said. These range from mild symptoms such as thirst and nausea to severe complications such as muscle weakness, confusion, and even acute kidney failure.

Share this post:

Related Posts