Breaking News Stories

Pentagon Abandons $110 Million Military Base As African Regime Takes Over

The U.S. Defense Department announced Monday that it has completed the withdrawal of U.S. troops from a $110 million military base in the African country of Niger as the country transitions power.

Hundreds of U.S. troops were previously stationed at 201 Air Base in Niger, but they left at the request of the country's military junta. The Pentagon said statement On Monday, it announced that all remaining troops and assets at the base had been withdrawn as final evacuation efforts were completed. (Related article: Pentagon sends troops, 'ground' firepower to Middle East amid Iran threat)

Air Base 201, which opened in 2019, cost the Defense Department $110 million to build and $30 million a year in maintenance costs. according to According to Defense News, the base plays a vital role for U.S. troops working alongside Niger's military in the fight against terrorist groups such as al-Qaida and Islamic State, which have extensive operations in the violent Sahel region. according to To the Wall Street Journal.

“This effort began on May 19 following the mutual establishment of withdrawal terms and will continue to be coordinated between U.S. and Nigerien forces over the coming weeks to ensure a full withdrawal as planned,” the Pentagon statement said. “Effective cooperation and communication between U.S. and Nigerien militaries ensured this handover was completed ahead of schedule and without any issues.”

U.S. soldiers prepare to board a cargo plane in front of military vehicles during a ceremony marking the first departure of U.S. troops from Niger, June 7, 2024. (Photo by BOUREIMA HAMA/AFP via Getty Images)

Some U.S. troops are expected to remain at the U.S. Embassy in Niger until the final withdrawal operation is completed in the coming weeks. according to Some of the 201st Air Base's equipment, such as weapons, was shipped out, but other equipment was left behind, according to The New York Times.

Relations between Niger and the United States began to unravel in mid-2023 when the country's military junta overthrew the democratic system and plunged the country into chaos. The regime is not keen on a continued U.S. presence in Niger and has demanded its immediate withdrawal.

Attempts to negotiate with the junta have largely failed as Niger has grown increasingly hostile toward U.S. troops. According to the Times, officials issued formal orders in May to begin withdrawing U.S. troops over the coming months, with the last of the troops scheduled to leave Niger by mid-September.

Some prominent U.S. defense officials have argued that not deploying troops to Niger limits the U.S.'s ability to conduct counterterrorism operations against extremist and terrorist groups in the Sahel.

(Photo credit: -/AFP via Getty Images)

TOPSHOT – Nigerien security forces stand guard as protesters gather outside a French air base in Niamey, Niger, on September 3, 2023 to demand the withdrawal of French troops from Niger. (Photo by -/AFP via Getty Images)

“This makes it even more difficult to protect U.S. security interests in the Sahel,” Air Force Maj. Gen. Kenneth P. Ekman, the man tasked with overseeing the withdrawal, told The Times in July. “The threat from ISIS and al Qaeda in the region is worsening every day.”

But some defense experts and former U.S. officials who previously spoke to the Daily Caller News Foundation believe withdrawing troops from Niger is the right decision, given the growing danger from Niger's hostile government and people. The U.S. has extensive other military and intelligence capabilities, so it doesn't necessarily need ground troops to conduct counterterrorism operations, experts told DCNF.

“What [Biden administration] “What I didn't understand was how cold-blooded these guys are. The new government in Niger? They don't care. They don't want the U.S. involved in their country,” Michael DiMino, a former CIA officer and senior fellow at Defense Priorities, told DCNF. “There were months of denial: 'We can save this, we've solved this.'”

The Pentagon and U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

As an independent, nonpartisan news service, all content produced by the Daily Caller News Foundation is available free of charge to any legitimate news publisher with a large readership. All republished articles must include our logo, reporter byline, and affiliation with the DCNF. If you have any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact us at licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Share this post: