Menendez Brothers’ Parole Hearings Disrupted by Audio Release
This week, access to the parole hearings for brothers Eric and Lyle Menendez was tightly controlled by state prison officials. However, the sudden release of audio recordings nearly derailed the proceedings on Friday, despite efforts to maintain order.
The release of audio from Eric’s hearing on Thursday caused a disruption during Lyle’s hearing the next night. This was significant since it marked the first opportunity for the Menendez brothers to seek freedom since their conviction for the 1989 shotgun murder of their parents in Beverly Hills.
The state parole board declined Eric’s petition after a lengthy session on Thursday. Reports provided by a Times Reporter monitoring the hearings from the California Department of Corrections Rehabilitation Headquarters near Sacramento conveyed updates to the media.
Although audio recordings were supposed to be limited to prison officials, a news outlet—ABC7—reported that they had been mistakenly released in response to a records request.
A representative from the corrections department confirmed that the audio was released “incorrectly” but did not provide further details. This development led to a temporary halt in the hearings, resulting in frustration and accusations that prison officials had intentionally prompted a “spectacle.”
“I hate this,” expressed Pastor Tiffany Lucero, a relative of the brothers, in an emotional outburst during the hearing. “Your actions misled your family, violating their rights and complicating the situation.”
Heidi Rammell, the brothers’ parole attorney, sought a break during the nine-hour hearing. She argued that the release of the audio compromised the fairness of the proceedings. “We’re here following the rules, and then *this* happens. It’s outrageous,” she said.
While Lyle’s fate remained undecided, the board had already denied Eric’s release, primarily due to concerns about smuggling cell phones and other infractions within the prison.
“I can’t begin to grasp what this family is feeling,” Lammel commented. “They’ve worked hard to maintain their dignity and privacy.” The Menendez brothers found themselves with a possibility of parole after Attorney George Gascon had earlier petitioned to reduce their prison sentences to 50 years, making them eligible. However, New District Attorney Nathan Hochman contested this petition after winning the November election.
LA County Superior Court Judge Michael Jessick rejected Hochman’s request, stating that prosecutors had failed to demonstrate a public danger presented by the brothers, clearing the path for their parole hearing.
The ongoing case and the brothers’ petition have garnered national attention, including social media campaigns advocating for their release amid claims of past abuse by their father. The audio release added another layer of speculation and doubt to an already scrutinized situation.
Parole Committee Member Julie Garland noted during the hearing that the audio could be made public under California’s Public Records Act, and transcriptions typically become public 30 days after a decision is rendered.
Rammell mentioned that she had previously sought a parole hearing, which was declined. “It’s very unusual,” she noted. “It feels like another way to turn this into a public show.”
She also indicated that the media’s presence at the hearing may have contributed to the leak. Maya Emig, an attorney representing Joan Vandermolen, sister of Kitty Menendez, expressed concern, saying, “We need to keep the spotlight on this.”
Rammell inquired about whether the board would also release Lyle’s hearing audio, displaying concern over the handling of the situation. “I can’t believe there aren’t more hearings like this happening,” she said. At one point, Rammell discussed efforts to keep the transcript sealed under Marsy’s law, but Garland assured that the audio from Friday’s hearing wouldn’t be public until Rammell could address the release.
Shortly after, Rammell noted that some relatives of the brothers chose against testifying concerning the audio issue. “It seems like we’re not getting a fair shake here,” she remarked.
Ultimately, the three-member parole board decided the audio incident would not interfere with their ruling, and they rejected Lyle’s request. Both brothers are eligible for parole in three years but can apply for a hearing earlier after one year.