Breaking News Stories

Will she or won’t she? The California governor’s race hinges on Kamala Harris

California Gubernatorial Race Heats Up

Democrats competing for the California governorship are trying to navigate powerful donors and interest groups ahead of the primaries this spring and summer.

However, there’s one major question hanging over the race: Is former Vice President Kamala Harris going to run?

Since losing to President Trump in November, discussions around Harris’s potential candidacy have put a hold on many campaign plans. Some candidates are even looking into alternate offices. Meanwhile, major donors are hesitant to commit funds without clarity on Harris’s decision.

Tony Thurmond, who kicked off his campaign earlier this year, mentioned that many candidates are tapping into the same donor pool, and they’re all asking the same thing: “Does she run?” Unfortunately, as Thurmond put it, “We don’t know.”

Since departing from Washington in January, Harris has kept a low profile, residing in Brentwood with her husband Doug Emhoff. She’s been confiding in friends about her future options, weighing choices that range from stepping back from politics to running for governor or even a third presidential campaign. A decision on the governor’s race is expected by late summer.

Currently, the Democrat already in the race doesn’t possess Harris’s level of appeal, which could significantly change dynamics if she decides to join. However, questions may arise regarding Harris’s recent political journey and intentions.

“She has a good sense of where she wants to put her energy,” noted Debbie Mesiro, a longtime supporter of Harris.

This year, Harris has made a few public appearances, like meeting with firefighters and attending a graduation in Compton, which have stirred speculation about her absence from major Democratic events. People are curious: What does it mean that she missed the State Democratic convention?

Originally, Harris had planned a two-week holiday at month’s end, but it seems she has canceled those plans.

On top of that, she’s been seen attending high-profile events in New York, like Broadway shows and the Met Gala. In her local area, she’s been known to visit markets in Westwood and Brentwood.

As time ticks by, it seems more governor candidates are feeling that Harris’s candidacy feels less likely than earlier assumed.

Figures like former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and former Biden cabinet member Xavier Becerra have committed to staying in the race regardless of what Harris decides. State Senator Toni Atkins remarked that her campaign will proceed “at full speed,” irrespective of Harris’s path.

Former state controller Betty Yee expressed determination to stay in the race as well, emphasizing her readiness to lead if selected.

“I’m prepared for this role,” Yee said, voicing her confidence in her financial expertise.

Yee noted that donors often want assurance on candidates’ stability in the race.

Political strategist Dan Newman stated that the current environment feels uncertain. “Potential supporters are hesitant,” he observed, adding that even loyal fans may not be ready to invest because of unpredictable outcomes.

Frustrations among donors are palpable, according to Eric Jay, who has worked on various campaigns. “Some are growing impatient,” he said, indicating that not everyone is willing to wait indefinitely for Harris’s decision.

But if she does enter the race, it’s not a given that donors will be eager to back her again, especially given previous financial disappointments.

As for the fundraising landscape, more clarity is expected after the July 31 reports, although Becerra has already announced raising $2.4 million since April. Current contributions give a partial picture but don’t tell the whole story just yet.

While three of the eight candidates have each raised under $100,000 this year in significant donations, others are doing better. For instance, Gov. Eleni Kounalakis has reportedly raised around $9 million since entering the race.

Villaraigosa, who previously ran, has attracted close to $1 million in contributions this year, while Atkins and Cloobeck have also secured noteworthy amounts.

Overall, the landscape remains fluid, with many waiting and watching each other’s moves as July approaches.

Share this post: